Kilimanjaro Lemosho Route Overview
Lemosho route approaches Mount Kilimanjaro from the west. It offers a chance to visit shira Plateau (Cathedral peak) and Shira Caldera. You will be having a pleasant hike while crossing from Shira Ridge to Shira 2 camp. You will have a very low traffic till you join with the Machame route and after that it would pass through the same way in the southern circuit through the Lava Tower, Barranco and Barafu. The minimum days required for this route is 7 days, but 8 days is recommended as it will give more chance to acclimatize and achieve the summit.
Since the route passes through the rainforests, crosses the stunning Shira Plateau and then joins with the Machame route to share its most enchanting view points in the southern circuit, it is considered as the most varied and the most beautiful route to the summit. Lemosho has low crowds until it combines with Machame. Lemosho is highly recommended and it has an abundance of wildlife such as elephant, buffalo, eland and lion which come over to forage during dry season from Longido game controlled area.
Because the starting point is far from Moshi, it is more expensive to climb this route due to the added transportation cost of getting hikers to the gate. A vehicle is used to bring hikers to the gate, where the trail begins in the montane rainforest. Lemosho trekkers have a longer distance to shield in the tropical rain forest ecosystem than other routes, and as a result hikers do not exit the rainforest until the end of day two. This plan means that the Lemosho route is a longer route, usually taking 7 to 8 days to complete.
LEMOSHO ROUTE 9 DAYS ITINERARY + 2 DAYS IN MOSHI
Day 1: Kilimanjaro International Airport to Moshi
A Bujo Tours guide will meet your family at the airport and transfer you to your accommodation in Moshi town. For the remainder of the day you may wish to relax and enjoy a swim in the pool.
Day 2: Londorossi Gate and Starting Point to Mti Mkubwa
Pick up at the lodge and transfer to Lemosho gate to start your trek, trekking distance cover 7kms, trek duration`s 3 hours, and altitude gain 700m.
Day 3: Mti Mkubwa to Shira 2 Camp
Distance covers 14kms, Duration 7 to 8 hours, and altitude gain 1050m.
Day 4: Shira 2 Camp to Moir Hut
Distance covers 5kms, duration 3 to 4 hours, and altitude gain 400m.
Day 5: Moir Camp to Barranco Camp
Distance covers 5kms, duration 5 to 6 hours, and altitude gain 400m and down 600m.
Day 6: Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp
Distance covers 6kms, duration 3 to 4 hours, and altitude gain 250m and down 250m.
Day 7: Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp
Distance covers 4kms, duration 3 to 4 hours, and altitude gain 650m.
Day 8: Barafu Camp to Crater Camp
Distance covered 10kms, duration 10 to 12 hours and altitude gain 1000m.
Day 9: Crater Camp to Summit Uhuru Peak to Mweka Camp
Distance to Uhuru Peak 1km, duration to Uhuru Peak 1hour and altitude gain to Uhuru Peak 295m reach 5895m, distance from Uhuru Peak to Mweka Camp 15kms, duration from Uhuru Peak to Mweka Camp 7 hours, altitude drop down from Uhuru Peak to Mweka Camp 2445m
Day 10: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate to Moshi
Today distance covered during descend will be 13kms, duration 5 to 6 hours, descend 2160m to Mweka gate. Pick up at Mweka gate and transfer to your lodge in Moshi.
Day 11: Departure to Kilimanjaro International Airport
After breakfast, you may option to continue relax at the lodge till mid afternoon whereby you will be transferred to Kilimanjaro Airport to connect with your flight back home.
9 Days Lemosho Route + 2 nights hotel
- Park fees, camping fees, Hut fees & rescue fees
- Twice a day medical health checkup, monitoring with pulse-oximeter and stethoscope with basic first kit
- Oxygen Cylinder
- Orientation meeting in Moshi and gear check as well.
- 18% Value Added Tax on tour fees & services
- Camping equipment (tents, sleeping mat, camp chairs, camp tables, mess tent & cutlery for meals) and 3 Season mountain tents
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Transportation to & from the mountain gate
- Medically qualified mountain guides, cooks and porters
- 3 Meals while on the mountain + evening tea with popcorn or peanuts.
- Hot water for washing up daily and treated water for drink while climbing.
- Pre & Post Trek accommodation in Moshi. Bed & Breakfast Basis with storage facilities for excess luggage during hikes.
- Fair wages for the mountain crew as approved by the Kilimanjaro National Park Authority (KINAPA), Kilimanjaro Association of Tour Operators (KIATO)
- 3-4 porters per climber, which includes porters to carry up to 30 lbs of your personal gear.
- Kilimanjaro certificate for your successful summit attempt.
- Tips to mountain crew
- Items of a personal nature
- Laundry Services
- Entry visa for Tanzania
Bujo Tours and Safaris LTD lead your dream to the roof of Africa