Kilimanjaro Lemosho Route Overview
Lemosho route approaches Mount Kilimanjaro from the west. It crosses from Shira Ridge to Shira 2 camp offering the hikers a pleasant hike. Till it joins the Machame route, the visitors would experience the low traffic. Then both the route take the same track while passing some of the southern circuit splendors like the Lava Tower, Barranco and Barafu. The minimum days to trek in this route is 7, but 8 days is recommended as it will give more chance to acclimatize and achieve the summit.
Lemosho is considered to be one of the most scenic routes to Kilimanjaro. The spectacular sights of the rain forest, Shira Plateau and all the other view points of the southern circuit add to its scenic views. Lemosho has low crowds until it combines with Machame. Lemosho is highly recommended and it has an abundance of wildlife such as elephant, buffalo, eland and lion which come over to forage during dry season from Longido game controlled area.
Because the starting point is far from Moshi, it is more expensive to climb this route due to the added transportation cost of getting hikers to the gate. A vehicle is used to bring hikers to the gate, where the trail begins in the montane rainforest. Lemosho trekkers have a longer distance to shield in the tropical rain forest ecosystem than other routes, and as a result hikers do not exit the rainforest until the end of day two. This plan means that the Lemosho route is a longer route, usually taking 7 to 8 days to complete.
LEMOSHO ROUTE 6 DAYS ITINERARY + 2 DAYS IN MOSHI
Day 1: Kilimanjaro International Airport to Moshi
Pick up from Kilimanjaro Airport and transfer to Moshi town for overnight at your designated hotel.
Day 2: Londorossi Gate and Starting Point to Mti Mkubwa
Leave in the morning from Moshi to Londorossi village were gate located. The start of trail 2100m trek winds up through the lush forest zone onto the lower slopes of the northern side, going to Shira Plateau. Overnight at Mti Mkubwa 2650m, 4 to 5 hours.
Day 3: Mti Mkubwa to Shira 2 Camp
Trek to Shira 2 Hut walking through the fine open moorlands. Overnight at Shira 2 Hut 6 to 7 hours.
Day 4: Shira 2 Camp to Barranco Camp
Today you would take a long trek to Barranco camp that lies in a sheltered area below the remarkable cliffs of the Breach wall. The valley is dominated by the Breach wall, the dome of Uhuru and the edge of the Heim Glacier. Make your overnight stay at Barranco Camp (3900m) which can be completed within a 6 to 7 hours of trek.
Day 5: Barranco Camp to Barafu Camp
After breakfast begin trekking from Barranco to Barafu for overnight. Distance 4kms, duration 7 to 8hours, and altitude gain 650m.
Day 6: Barafu Camp to Uhuru Peak (Summit) to Mweka Camp
Distance19kms, duration 12 to14 hours and altitude gain 1295m down 2105m
Day 7: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate to Moshi
Distance 13kms, duration 5-6 hours and descend 1650m. Pick up at Mweka gate and transfer to the lodge or hotel.
Day 8: Departure to Kilimanjaro International Airport.
After breakfast at your lodge, you will be picked up and transfer to Airport to catch your flight back home or proceed with safari.
6 Days Lemosho Route + 2 nights hotel
- Park fees, camping fees, Hut fees & rescue fees
- Twice a day medical health checkup, monitoring with pulse-oximeter and stethoscope with basic first kit
- Oxygen Cylinder
- Orientation meeting in Moshi and gear check as well.
- 18% Value Added Tax on tour fees & services
- Camping equipment (tents, sleeping mat, camp chairs, camp tables, mess tent & cutlery for meals) and 3 Season mountain tents
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Transportation to & from the mountain gate
- Medically qualified mountain guides, cooks and porters
- 3 Meals while on the mountain + evening tea with popcorn or peanuts.
- Hot water for washing up daily and treated water for drink while climbing.
- Pre & Post Trek accommodation in Moshi. Bed & Breakfast Basis with storage facilities for excess luggage during hikes.
- Fair wages for the mountain crew as approved by the Kilimanjaro National Park Authority (KINAPA), Kilimanjaro Association of Tour Operators (KIATO)
- 3-4 porters per climber, which includes porters to carry up to 30 lbs of your personal gear.
- Kilimanjaro certificate for your successful summit attempt.
- Tips to mountain crew
- Items of a personal nature
- Laundry Services
- Entry visa for Tanzania
Bujo Tours and Safaris LTD lead your dream to the roof of Africa