Kilimanjaro Machame Route Overview
Kilimanjaro Machame route also known as the “Whisky route”, has become very popular. This is camping route which offers spectacular views of various landscapes such as Mt. Meru, Pare Mountains, Lake Chala and Lake Jipe. It is possible to climb the mountain within 6 days, but an additional day is recommended for the rest and ultimately this would maximize the success rate. Doing this will maximize your chance of reaching the top.
MACHAME ROUTE 7 DAYS WESTERN BREACH
Day 1: Kilimanjaro International Airport to Moshi
Pick up from Kilimanjaro Airport and transfer to Moshi town for overnight at your designated hotel.
Day 2: Moshi to Machame Gate – Machame Camp
After a transfer to the park gate and registration, a seven hours you would just head for the Machame camp (3000m) through the forest. The crews would take the best care of you during all through your climb. They would do the jobs like erecting and dismantling the camp, and providing you with tasty, filling food.
Day 3: Machame Camp to Shira Cave
This is an initial steep climb which is followed by a gentle incline. The descent and ascent would bring you to Shira Cave camp (3800) after your lunch. Walking time approximately five hours.
Day 4: Shira Cave to Lava Tower Camp
Today’s trek is shorter than yesterday’s, though your overall gain in height is modest. Starting at 3800 meters, by the time you reach camp this afternoon you will only be 760 meters higher, finish you climb up to the base of the famous Lava Tower at 4627 meters. Your acclimatization would bring you a lot of benefits. The distance is around 5 kms which can be covered up within 5 hours excluding the breaks on the way. Once again, your day will begin with breakfast at 08.00 and departure at 09.00, when you begin your trek across the stony landscape of Shira Plateau. You would experience the sparse vegetation here at first with just a few hardy lichens to admire. During your climb towards the Lava Tower, your picnic lunch is taken at 13.00 high point of the day. Dinner tonight is served at 19.00
Day 5: Lava Tower Camp to Arrow Glacier Camp
Today you are back to your early 08.00 breakfast time and 08:30 departure. Distance will be around 5km; you climb from 4553 meters to approximately 4846 meters. Today altitude is perfect opportunity for acclimatization, but the terrain is steep, with a few scramble sections to get over the Great Barranco Wall. The scenery today changes to the predominantly Alpine desert. You retire to your tents after lunch, in order to prepare for our biggest day, climbing the Western Breach and dinner at about 19.00.
Day 6: Arrow Glacier Camp to Crater Camp
You climb from 4800 meters to 5638 meters. You will wake up just before sunrise and cross the Western Breach while the ground is still frozen and into the crater rim. You then walk past the Northern Ice Field and Furtwangler Glacier. You will make your way to your tents, relax and have lunch. At this point, you can relax in the lunch tent or your personal tent for the rest of the day. Or you can walk to the actual crater rim and Reusch Glacier (Ash Pit) with one of your guides. You camp at Crater Camp.
Day 7: Summit Uhuru Peak to Mweka Camp
To Uhuru Peak the highest point, then down to Millennium Camp or Mweka Camp.
Day 8: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate to Moshi
A descent of some 4 hours takes you to Mweka Village where you met our driver and transferred back to the Hotel.
Day 9: Departure to Kilimanjaro International Airport
After breakfast at your lodge, you will be picked up and transfer to Airport to catch your flight back home. But if you wish to extend your program and proceed with safari kindly let us know so that we can arrange it in advance.
7 Days Machame route via western breach + 2 nights hotel
- Park fees, camping fees, Hut fees & rescue fees
- Twice a day medical health checkup, monitoring with pulse-oximeter and stethoscope with basic first kit
- Oxygen Cylinder
- Orientation meeting in Moshi and gear check as well.
- 18% Value Added Tax on tour fees & services
- Camping equipment (tents, sleeping mat, camp chairs, camp tables, mess tent & cutlery for meals) and 3 Season mountain tents
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Transportation to & from the mountain gate
- Medically qualified mountain guides, cooks and porters
- 3 Meals while on the mountain + evening tea with popcorn or peanuts.
- Hot water for washing up daily and treated water for drink while climbing.
- Pre & Post Trek accommodation in Moshi. Bed & Breakfast Basis with storage facilities for excess luggage during hikes.
- Fair wages for the mountain crew as approved by the Kilimanjaro National Park Authority (KINAPA), Kilimanjaro Association of Tour Operators (KIATO)
- 3-4 porters per climber, which includes porters to carry up to 30 lbs of your personal gear.
- Kilimanjaro certificate for your successful summit attempt.
- Tips to mountain crew
- Items of a personal nature
- Laundry Services
- Entry visa for Tanzania
Bujo Tours and Safaris LTD lead your dream to the roof of Africa